Cake questions & answers
If you have any other cake questions relating to our cakes then please do not hesitate to contact us. Please find below some general cake FAQs
Top cake questions
- Do you deliver the cakes or are they collection only? Local collection only, the rest will be delivered with appropriate delivery charge depending on location
- What area do you cover for delivery? Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and surrounding areas. All other orders are collection.
- Do you accept custom requests? Yes we are happy for you to send us your bespoke cake design ideas or we can assist you in coming wup with one that will suit your needs.
- If someone wants a custom design, what do you need from them? We will need to know your design idea and this can be discussed by phone or via email
- How many servings does an “average” cake make? Please check out the “Guide to cake portions” page for rough details
- Do you hire out cake stands, knives, etc? We can hire out stands with our cakes for an additional deposit on local commissions only
More cake questions
- Do the cakes come boxed? Yes the cakes will be boxed for delivery
- How long will the cake last? Sponge cakes generally last 5 days, but fruit cake last for months
- How long before the cake is required must the order be placed? It depends on the occasion/design of cake but as a rough guide a standard wedding cake needs 4 weeks minimum or a birthday cake 5-10 days. If possible we will of course try to fit cakes in at shorter notice.
- Do you charge a cancellation fee? No, but deposits (booking fees) are non refundable if the order is cancelled after two weeks of placing
- Do you make guaranteed nut, gluten or dairy free cakes? We can make nut, gluten and dairy free however they are made in the same place as all our other cakes are made and we always check our sources for assurances of nut free produce.
- How do people order their cakes? You can order your cake online or by phone
- What flavour are the cakes? Generally we can provide the flavour requested. Please chack out our extensive flavours here (Cake Flavours). If a flavour you require is not listed, please do let us know. We will do our best to accommodate.
- Is everything on the cake edible? Depending on the design generally yes but you will be notified of non edible items
- Are all your cakes handmade? Yes We are an Artisan Baker and we make all our own cakes individually by hand. These are then carved and decorated to order individually by hand using our own recipes.
- Do you offer any tasting samples? Yes we do. You can choose up to four different flavours/types of cake. There is no charge for these. Additonal samples would incur a nominal charge.
- Can the cake have fresh flowers on it? We will not put fresh flowers directly onto the cake as this can affect the icing, where required there will be a layer of acetate to separate them
- Do you require a deposit? Yes, please read our terms and conditions for full details
- What payment types do you accept? Cash, BACS payments or card payments for online transactions
- How many tiers can a cake have? We can produce cakes in multiple tiers for you. The amount of tiers depends on the style of the cake
- Is chocolate OK for summer cakes? Yes providing you store it in a cool place up until the time of presentation and we advise to ensure their is aircon where the cake is to be displayed
- Do you do corporate cakes? Yes and it can incorporate your business colours and logo
- Can you do displays of cupcakes? Yes this has become quite fashionable recently and can look fabulous for something different
- Can you add ‘Dummy’ tiers to my cake? Yes, absolutely! ‘Dummy’ tiers give us the opportunity to add a more dramatic affect to your cake, whether it is more height or additional features, dummy tiers are designed and finished to look like part of the cake. This is becoming increasingly popular with a number of customers.
We will add More cake questions and answers as we get them.